50+ developers, music startups, jr. label staffers, music biz students came to Saturday’s Music Startup Academy in Los Angeles to learn the ins and outs of the the music business. Watch for us to arrive in a city near you. Click here for more information about the Music Startup Academy.
The sessions were as follows:
- Opening Address
- Bill Wilson, VP, Digital Strategy & Business Development, digitalmusic.org
- Ted Cohen, TAG Strategic
- Label and Publishing Basics for Entrepreneurs
A deeper dive into the economics of the music industry, including performance rights and understanding the various rights for master recordings and songwriting. We will also go over the various legal issues surrounding music product development.
- Jason Feinberg, VP, Digital Strategy, Epitaph Records
- Jay Cooper, Vice-Chair, Global Media & Entertainment Practice, Greenberg Traurig
- Music Industry Content Acquisition and Business Development
Want Lady Gaga for your music service? A cool product isn’t enough. In this segment, we’ll go over the “do’s and don’t’s” in licensing vast libraries of major content. Learn the third rails and how to manage navigating around the barriers to entry.
- YiPing Ho, Senior Director of Digital Strategy & Business Development, Warner Music Group
- Randy Shefer, Director, Video Games, Film, & TV Music, Sony ATV
- Getting Under the Hood: Music Operations For CTOs and Developers
Once a deal is done on the legal side, technical teams need to work out content delivery and royalty reporting mechanisms. This course will discuss industry XML standards for content delivery, and royalty reporting, metadata, best practices, and troubleshooting.
- Christopher Read, VP, Strategic Operations, Sony DADC
- Jeff Wallace, CTO, MediaNet
- Opportunities In B2B Music Services
Got a service and want to work directly with record labels? Find out what record labels are looking for and the best way to sell your product to them.
- Zachary Werner, Digital Strategy, Universal Music Group
- Topspin Meetup
- Jeremy Bellinghausen, CEO, Topspin